Monday, March 31, 2008

David's 2nd email summary

Friends-

We are still on the long train ride from the ancient city-- we stopped suddenly in between stations because we hit 3 cows on the track. I had to get out and investigate with some of the soldiers who jumped off the trian to see. There was not much left, needless to say. But I made some friends with some of the soldiers who were hanging out while we waited. They were a few years younger than me. They spoke Arabic and a little English. I found out that they were paratroopers... We talked about where they are stationed... And that they have done 6 jumps so far. They smiled a lot and asked me many questions... So I have made a few new friends today! The train whistle blew and we had to go back to our train cars, but I am hoping to run in to them again when we get off.

Let me jump back to yesterday since I haven't told about it yet...

Sunday (yesterday)--
Rick and I got up early for breakfast with the family. We had some more coffee(gasp), and some bread with the most amazing apricot jelly I have ever had. The mom in our family reminds me of my mom... She loved to see us eat well and enjoy the food she prepared. We met up with the group and went to a building designated for an international fellowship service. This building is a gift to to the foreigners here. Locals are forbidden to enter. We went to the first sevice in English and then hung around for the second service in French. The music was beautiful! We all went for some American food after the service. Yep-- McDonalds.

After that we took a tour of the city with the whole team. We learned a lot about the history and culture. We saw many of the mosques, and went on in depth tours of a tannery, a handmade rug and scarf shop. The tour lasted 6 hours! We were not worth much at the end of it to say the least.

At the end of the night, Rick and I had a feast with our family. We had meatballs, avocadoes, tomatoes, as well as strawberries, pineapples and bread. Rick and I gave the family gifts... We gave the dad a braves and a falcons hat. I bought some spices at the market for the mother-- saffron and a mixture of other spices. She was very happy to get them.

The highlight of the day was when the dad took me and Rick to the public bath after dinner. Men here typically go twice a week to clean and experience community. It reminded me of the sulfur caves in Glenwood Springs that Pop took us to growing up. Basically you grab a bucket... There is a superheated water basin that you dip it in to, then you add cold water till the temperature of the water won't burn your skin off... It was pretty interesting. What a great couple of days with our family! They said we are always welcome with them. I did buy a handmade knife that is inscribed with the symbol of the village peoples from the area. It is pretty cool. No Dad, I am not going to carry it on to the plane. Well, I am tired of typing one letter at a time... Later.

David

2 comments:

Leah said...

Glad to know that you are meeting many new friends and being open to experiencing culture, including coffee. It sounds like an amazing trip. Know that you are in our thoughts.

Through the storms of life... said...

I love reading the updates and so glad to know that things are going well. We are constantly praying for your entire group.
Tell Jen that her family says hello! And - watch out for those sneaky bulls... :o)