Monday, March 31, 2008

Train Post From David

Hello all-

Right now we are riding a train from the ancient city to the mountain village... The trip will take 7 hours. I am not sure when any of us will be in front of a computer again, so I thought I would try and just send another email update with my blackberry. Please forward this to any friends that I might be forgetting, because I don't have a lot of emails programmed in yet.

Saturday afternoon/night--
After meeting up with the dad in our family, Rick, John, Garin and I took off and explored the maze of streets of the ancient city. I met many different people and shopkeepers. A very nice man showed us his leather making business... Shoes, purses and cushions. He taught us some new Arabic phrases. The people here a truly very friendly and genuinely interested in getting to know you. My friends in Spain will be excited to hear that I watched Barcelona play another Spanish soccer club on TV with all the shopkeepers on Saturday night. Everyone here is big fans of the Barcelona Soccer Team! It was fun to high five all the shopkeepers when Barcelona saved a huge penalty kick near the end of the game(they ended up losing though). The next morning some of the shopkeepers called my name out as I walked by and said BARSA! When we went home saturday night the mother of the family had prepared a nice meal for us. They had three daughters, one is 13, one is 5, and then a baby, 10 months. They are all very sweet girls... By the way-- I have never really had much coffee in my life because I don't like it, and all of a sudden I am drinking it twice a day here- the stuff here is like rocket fuel with like a pound of sugar in it-- my heart is constantly about to pound out of my chest.
I was worried initially about whether or not I would like the food-- everyone who knows me knows that I love to eat and I will pretty much eat anything... But the food here has been awesome!!! The mom and dad that we stayed with were very happy to see how much we enjoyed what the women had prepared.

Sunday will be in the next email....

David

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Glad to hear things are going so well! You are thougth of and prayed for daily here in the state! It sounds like an incredible adventure!